Fun Things to Do in Cleveland in 2019
By: Caroline Cannon
As March is slowly dragging along, spring break is peaking around the corner, and the beautiful Cleveland sky is a wonderful shade of gray, it’s nice to think about some fun things to do. And, since we live in such an amazing city, why not explore downtown? Here is a list of things to do in Cleveland in 2019 to brighten up your day!
1. For the first time since 1997, the Cleveland Indians will host the 2019 MLB All-Star Game on July 9th! Be sure to check out the home run derby, all star game, and all the festivities either in person or on TV!
2. Our world famous theater scene will have another stellar year with this line up. Be sure to go whitness part of the magic that is PlayHouse Square! Here are the shows you can’t miss in 2019:
a. School of Rock (March 5 – 24)
b. The Phantom of the Opera (April 3 – 20)
c. A Bronx Tale (April 23 – May 12)
d. Dear Evan Hansen (June 11 – 30 )
e. Come From Away (July 9 – 28)
f. The Lion King (August 7 – September 1)
3. Explore the awesome Progressive field and cheer on the Indian’s at a baseball Game! The home opener is set for Monday, April 1 against the Chicago White Sox, and the team will host a grand total of 81 home games this year, so you have plenty of options to plan your trip! After all, what better way to spend a summer night than eating ice cream with your friends while cheering on the Tribe?
4. Now even though the Cavs have had a rough…well, very rough season, it’s still nice to support them one last time. And, the real reason people go, you get free stuff on the last home game! The Cavs Fan Appreciation Night (the last home game of the season) is on Tuesday, April 9th and you’ll be sure to get either a tshirt or bobblehead of some sorts.
5. Personally, I think it’s crazy to think that some people don’t explore the Cleveland Art Museum frequently. When you live in a city with a world famous art museum, you should definitely go see some of the breathtaking exhibitions at least once a year. Here is the amazing lineup for some of the specialty exhibitions this year!
a. Water: Edward Burtynsky opens 6/8/19
Second Careers: Two Tributaries in African Art Opens 10/20/2019
Shinto: Discovery of the Divine in Japanese Art Opens 4/9/2019
6. Cleveland is now the place to be to see all of your favorite bands and singers! Here are some of the top names coming to Cleveland this year: a. Ariana Grande is coming March 28th, 2019 @ Quicken Loans Arena
b. Train comes August 14th, 2019 @ Blossom Music Center
c. Mumford and Sons is stopping by on March 9th, 2019 @ Quicken Loans Arena
d. Jon Bellion will be here August 3rd, 2019 @ Jacobs Pavilion at Nautica
7. The 2019 Inductee class for the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is one for the record books with names like The Cure, Def Leppard, Janet Jackson, Stevie Nicks and more. These great artist will be celebrated through amazing exhibitions at the Rock Hall, so go check them out! If you’ve never been to the Rock Hall, it is an amazing experience i recommend to anyone and everyone. I mean, who doesn’t want to see Lady Gaga’s meat dress?!
Hopefully this list gave you some great ideas for some weekend, spring break, or summer plans!