20 Must-Read Books
By Ev Burdsall
As several people know, I love to read. So, I have come up with a list of some of my favorite books if anyone is looking for something new.
- Ask the Passengers by A.S King – I love this book because the characters are very well developed and the story touches the heart. Astrid is in a hard place during the story. She doesn’t know who to trust, her family isn’t the best, and her love life is a mess. The ending was very touching.
- Throne of Glass series by Sarah J Maas – Throne of Glass follows the assassin Celaena Sardothien after the crown prince pulls her out of the salt mines. He offers her a chance at freedom if she wins a competition and becomes the King’s Champion. This series follows Celaena as she battles people and creatures. There are many secrets, betrayal, friends, and heartbreak throughout this series. However, there is one secret that could get Celaena killed, and destroy everything that she has worked for and protected.
- A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J Maas- This is another series by Sarah J. Maas, and this time it follows Feyre, a human in a both fae and human world. Feyre decides to kill a wolf to feed her starving family, but in doing so she puts her family and herself in danger. A powerful fae lord kidnaps Feyre so she could pay the price for killing the lord’s friend. After her time in the fae’s land, she learns that something awful is happening throughout the lands. Can she save her new friends and their families, or will her bravery get herself killed? This series has many twists, turns, secrets, love, heartbreaks, and betrayal.
- Keeper of the Lost Cities series by Shannon Messenger- Keeper of the Lost Cities follows Sophie Foster, a twelve-year-old high school senior. However she has a secret – she is a telepath. A strange boy finds her, and tells her that she is in fact not human, but an elf. Sophie does not believe him until he proves it too her. Sophie has to leave her human family, but after a time her new life starts to look up. She has friends, and nice foster parents. However, she is still different from the other elves. Soon she discovers that the glittering world is full of cracks and lies. There are people out there who would do anything to get the secrets stored away in Sophie’s head. Can she find the right people and protect herself in time?
- Children of Bone and Blood by Tomi Adeyemi- The King took their magic and killed all maji, leaving many without parents, including Zélie. Her mother was killed during the raid leaving Zélie and her brother alone to face the world. Zélie remembers what it was like to have magic, and would do anything to have her magic running through her veins back. Now Zélie has one chance to bring back magic and strike against the monarchy. With the help of Amarai, a rogue princess, Zélie must outwit and outrun the crown prince, who is determined to eradicate magic for good.
- Ash Princess by Laura Sebastian
- Divergent by Veronica Roth
- The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
- Matched by Allie Condie
- Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard
- The Kiss of Deception by Mary E. Pearson
- An Ember in the Ashes by Sabaa Tahir
- The Cruel Prince by Holly Black
- Let the Sky Fall trilogy by Shannon Messenger
- Truthwitch by Susan Dennard
- Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson
- The White Giraffe (First book in the Legend of the Animal Healer series) by Lauren ST. John
- The Neptune Project by Polly Holyoke
- Carnival by Stephanie Garber
- Little Women by Louisa May Alcott