by Ella Van Niel
Fall is finally here, and halloween is just around the corner. Celebrate the spookiness with these five books that are perfect for fall!
- Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier– Rebecca is the perfect gothic novel for fall. It’s a romantic mystery set in an isolated mansion, written in the early 20th century. The main character, a young woman newly married to a man she hardly knows, discovers that her husband has a dark secret. Over the course of the book, she must discover the secret, and deal with its repercussions.
- Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle– The Sherlock Holmes stories are a classic fall read. All the stories are set in spooky locations, some in London and some in remote villages in England. Also, the stories are pretty short, so they’re perfect quick reads for autumn.
- Frankenstein by Mary Shelley– Frankenstein is a novel full of terror, murder, and mystery. Frankenstein, a young medical student, becomes a little too fascinated by human anatomy. He decides to construct a new man from dead people’s body parts and the experiment inevitably goes wrong. Frankenstein’s terrible mistake ends up haunting him for the rest of his life, in more ways than he could ever imagine.
- Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen–Jane Austen is known for her melodramatic novels about upper-class drama, and Northanger Abbey does fall into that category, but it’s also so different. In the book, the main character stays in an old mansion with a family she hardly knows, and the stormy weather and mystery surrounding the house make her imaginations run wild.
- Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte– Wuthering Heights is one of the most well-known romance novels of all time. It takes place in the rugged moors of England, and depicts the love story of Heathcliff and Catherine. The novel is filled with jealousy, violence, and regret as the romance becomes more and more complicated.