Stress Management: How to Start the Year Off Right
By: Amanda Sachs and Julia Schilz
The start of a new school year is always exciting but stressful, so we have made a list of tips to hopefully manage some of that stress.
1) Self care- Treat yourself!! Do one thing in your day for yourself, no matter how small. This could be a nap, eat your favorite food, get outside, talk with a friend, watch Netflix, whatever makes you happy 🙂
2) Meditate– If you read tip #1 and thought you don’t have enough time for self-care everyday, YOU DO! Try meditating- even 5 minutes a day goes a long way!
3) Stay organized – Make sure that the spaces you are in aren’t a complete mess! Take five minutes out of your day and clean up – you’ll be able to focus better and be more productive.
4) Time management – For most people, time management and using time productively can be a serious problem. It is important to your day as a whole and make sure you have enough time to do everything you want to accomplish.
5) Healthy eating – Make sure you are giving your body proper nutrients throughout the day (e.g. make sure you’re getting enough fruits, veggies, protein and healthy grains throughout the day)
6) Exercise – Get moving in some way every day. It can be anything from going out on a jog to playing your favorite sport with your friends. Exercise is proven to make people not only healthier but happier as well.
7) Drink more water- Water has SO many health benefits! It’s amazing for your skin, it helps keep you energized, your brain clear, and the list goes on! Aim for half your bodyweight in ounces of water each day.
8) Support network/friends – If you’re feeling stressed, use the people around you as a resource! Chances are, your friends are going through the same things as you and they’ll have good advice.
9) Do more of what makes you happy – Spend any free time that you have doing things that you enjoy like art, a sport, or anything else you like.
10) Spend time with people who make you better- According to one theory, you become most like the 5 people you’re closest to. Having positive relationships is key- make sure your friends are supportive!
Remember these are just suggestions and there are SO many other ways to make your life happy, healthy with a reduced amount of stress. Hope this article has helped you with some tips… have a great ‘18-’19 year!