by Annie Greenfield
As the winter Olympics come to an end, it is a great time to reflect
on the ups and downs of the 2018 Pyeongchang Winter Olympics. I am
here to share some of the highlights from this year!
– Two American female skiers won gold metals this year. This was a
really big deal because America was in a cross-country skiing “drought”.
The last time we won a medal in cross-country skiing was in 1976!
– Lindsey Vonn, one of the best downhill skiers America has ever had,
declared that the Pyeongchang Olympics would be her last.
– America placed fourth in the olympics this year, which disappointed
some people. We sent 242 athletes and came home with 23 metals.
Norway, placing first in the olympics sent only 109 athletes but came
home with 39 medals!
– A fellow Clevelander joined the American team this year at the age of
17! Red Gerard, grew up in Rocky River, OH. He won a gold medal!
– Austrian snowboarder, Markus Schairer fell hard onto his back during
his run and broke his neck! Yet he managed to get up and finish the
And that raps up the 2018 Olympic highlights!