Not Just Valentine’s Day: YouTube’s 13th Birthday
by Amy Howarth
Yes, I agree, Valentine’s Day is an important holiday but we can’t forget about YouTube’s Birthday, which is on Valentine’s Day! YouTube is, in my personal opinions one of the greatest entertainment sources out there (aside from Netflix of coarse). It is great platform where millions of different people can express themselves in many different ways. There are so many different channels’ like beauty, makeup, sports, daily vlogs, comedy, and the list goes on. So in order to show our love and honor YouTube on its birthday here are a few fun facts about YouTube that you might not know.
- The first video ever uploaded to YouTube was called, Me at the Zoo.
- YouTube was officially registered on Valentine’s Day in 2005.
- ‘Gangnam Style’ was such a popular video it broke YouTube’s view counter.
- The oldest cat video dates back to 1894.
- YouTube is the 2nd largest search engine bigger than Yahoo, Ask, and Bing combined.
- The top ten YouTubers were paid anywhere from 2.5 million- 12 million.
- YouTubers upload 300 hours of video every minute.
- “Charlie bit my finger” reached 846 million views.
- YouTube has over ⅓ of the entire world’s population watching its videos.
- YouTube originally started as a dating website.
- Nike’s football advertisement in 2005 was the 1st video to be watched 1 million times.
- The top 4 and highest paid YouTubers in 2017 where:
- Daniel Middleton
- Evan Fong
- Dude Perfect
- Logan Paul