Foodie’s Delight: Hip Places to Grab Food in Cleveland
by Izzy Catanzaro
- Think of Parallax as your new alternative to Sasa. Known for its great sushi, this Asian-fusion restaurant is a hip dinner spot in the Tremont neighborhood of Cleveland. A little on the pricey side, but the food is most definitely worth it. Also worth it is the view down the road. If you drive down the street you will have a world class view of Downtown Cleveland. My recommendation: start off with one of the salads on the Specials Menu, order the “Spider” roll, and top off the meal by splitting the decadent “Chocolate Walnut Tart” with your table!
- Le Petit Triangle
- Are you in the mood for a crepe?? Le Petit Triangle transports you back to 1920s Paris with its vintage-European vibe. This café is located in the hip and trendy Ohio City neighborhood. Although everything on the menu is top notch, I would definitely recommend taking a closer look at the crepe menu, which features sweet crepes such as the “Chocolate Lovers Crepe,” consisting of your choice of nutella or French dark chocolate, coconut, banana, and strawberry. For a more savory option, I would recommend the Salad Nicoise or the Croque Madame. And be sure to order a café au lait while you’re there!
- Phoenix Coffee
- Cleveland’s best local coffee shop, Phoenix Coffee has locations on Lee Road, Coventry Road, and also in Ohio City. Not only does Phoenix Coffee have a great ambiance and super fun baristas, but it has world class coffee. If you have a sweet tooth go for a “Speedball” which is a chocolate-coffee mixture of heaven. If you’re looking for a little more coffee and a little less sugar, try an iced-caramel latte. Also, it would be complete sacrilege to go to Phoenix without ordering one of their fresh chocolate- chip cookies! An added bonus: you might even get to see Mr. Frasier there!
- Lucky’s Café
- Lucky’s Café is situated in the new and upcoming Tremont area of Cleveland. Lucky’s is a casual café with great breakfast and great lunch, meaning: GO FOR BRUNCH! Mac and cheese is highly recommended, as is their granola and waffles. And, don’t leave without trying one of their many pastries and baked goods! Bottom line: it’s where the hot young people go, so people watching is top-notch.
- MILKSHAKES, MILKSHAKES, AND MORE MILKSHAKES! This Cleveland Heights gem is known for their amazingly delectable milkshakes. The rest of the food is uber healthy (think vegan, gluten-free, and tofu), but there is a great cheeseburger for those of you who want the meat! My recommendation: get a mint-chocolate chip milkshake and a “Dale” salad (tossed salad with falafel.)