Presidential Candidates #2: A Random Sampling
by Rosalie Phillips
There are a ridiculous number of candidate, some of whom are pretty ridiculous themselves. This article is meant to give you a quick overview of the candidates’ stances on a few big issues of today. I also provided my (slightly left-leaning) political commentary and a link to their website.
THIS WEEK: We will look at a random sampling of Republicans: JEB Bush, Mike Huckabee, John Kasich, and George Pataki.
JEB Bush (I put his name in all caps like that because JEB stands for John Ellis Bush…He goes by John Ellis Bush Bush)
TITLES: Former Governor of Florida, Founder of the Foundation for Excellence in Education
RPOV: At this point I like him more than most of the Republican candidates, he is more moderate than several of the other candidates which isn’t necessarily saying a lot. The name “Bush” elicits a lot of strong reactions from people and he has tried to distance himself by saying he is neither his father nor his brother several times, it will be interesting to see if he can of come the negative side of his name recognition.
- Doesn’t support sending troops to combat ISIS rather wants to supplement the Iraqi army with US training.
- Very Pro-Israel
- Anti Iran Deal
- Wants to reinstate Cuban embargo
- Acknowledges the existence of climate change caused by humans
- He says he plans to support the middle class
- plans for 4% annual growth but has not specified how
- Supporter of “traditional marriage” but open to support of unions.
- support offering illegal immigrant a way to obtain citizenship
SLOGAN: From Hope to Higher Ground
TITLES: Former Arkansas governor, Ordained S. Baptist minister
RPOV: I dislike Huckabee. I think he holds extreme stances that would not be beneficial for our government. He comes off as a bit outdated and idiotic.
- Wants to send troops to ISIS and believes Obama supports Islam too much
- Anti Iran Deal, doesn’t trust a Iran and wants to send troops there
- Was pro lifting the Cuba embargo when governor now is against
- Acknowledges the existence of climate change caused by humans, but is against regulations he fears would hurt the job market
- “wage stagnation” want to stabilize wages for an extended time frame
- higher minimum wage
- flat tax
- promises 6% annual growth with flat tax
- Against, strongly believes homosexuality to be a choice
- supports providing citizenship to children brought into the country
- Doesn’t support Obama’s executive action is shield immigrants
- wants to secure the border in an unspecified way
TITLES: Current Ohio governor, Former congressman
RPOV: As Ohio’s governor, Kasich did a lot of good for our budget and economy. I see him as a reasonable candidate for president but still am a bit hesitant to get on the Kasich for president bandwagon.
- USA responsibility as a part of NATO to send combat troops to fight ISIS
- Anti Iran Deal
- Supports giving arms to Ukraine to fight Putin’s rebels
- Acknowledges the existence of climate change caused by humans, but argues why should we be reforming when China and India aren’t
- Accepted funds to expand Medicaid in Ohio though he opposed it
- Believe in supporting the poor
- increasing business investment
- Lowering taxes
- believes in “traditional marriage” but said after the Supreme Court ruling that it is “time to move on” and didn’t support amending the constitution
- Wants a broader immigration reform because he believes the current system is inefficient
- Supports offering illegal immigrant legal status if they register and pay a fine
Titles: Former New York governor
Irrelevant to be honest….