by Nell Bruckner
There has been a lot of debate recently over allegations that Planned Parenthood was illegally trafficking body parts of aborted fetuses. These allegations have sparked a re-emergence of the abortion wars, largely launched by male republican politicians. I’m here to set the record state in a student-friendly, comprehensive way.
- Planned Parenthood does not sell baby parts: In a handful of states, it is legal for abortion providers to be reimbursed for the donation of fetal tissue to scientific research. In these states where it is legal and safe to do so, with the consent of the woman involved, Planned Parenthood has donated tissue.
- No federal money currently funds abortions through Planned Parenthood: Carefully allotted federal funds are not allowed to fund abortions, so any funding goes to the other services that Planned Parenthood provides; including mammograms, STI screenings, cancer screenings, pap smears, and birth control.
- Not only women benefit from Planned Parenthood: Plenty of services that PP provides are for men’s health, including regular checkups, cancer screenings, condoms, vasectomies, infertility treatment, STD and STI screenings, UTI treatment, and more.
Below is a graph that has been circulating in an attempt to attack Planned Parenthood.
- Where is the y axis?
- Why is the number 935,575 (pink line) located below the number 327,000 (red line)?
- Why are the latest numbers only from 2013, when a “professional” used this graph in 2015?
Here’s a more numerically accurate chart, published on the Planned Parenthood Website, accurate as of 2015.
I hope this little crash course helped clear up some misconceptions about Planned Parenthood and the services it provides. If you have further questions feel free to contact me at email@example.com