By: Lina Ghosh and Regan Brady
Have you already broken your New Year’s Resolution? Never fear; it’s not too late to start over! Enjoy those last few days of candy eating and Netflix binging because you have another chance: Lunar New Year is just around the corner on February 29th. Below are the top six resolutions HB girls should make this year. Take a look and see how you can stick to them!
- Working out more: School days can be very stressful. Sometimes you just feel like not even dealing with homework and just going to bed after seven consecutive periods of learning. I feel you. Maybe you should consider exercising during the day or even before school. Science says students do better on assessments after they have exercised. HB provides a lot of classes like Yoga and Pilates before school. (Shout out: join badminton at 7 am)
- Eating healthier: If you’re not used to salads at HB, some of the contents of the salad bar can be pretty suspicious. To be honest, I don’t know what I’m putting on my plate half of the time. Plus, why don’t my salads ever turn out to be pretty? Adjusting to the salad life is difficult; maybe setting a goal for eating a healthy HB lunch two or three times a week and working up from there would be the best option for you.
- Cutting down on Netflix and other screen time: Let’s be real. You’re not going to be able to completely rid your life of this addiction, so how about we limit this one to only at home for one hour a night? Maybe 2. And ONLY after all of your homework is done.
- Getting more sleep: if you aren’t doing resolution number 3, then this will be tough to complete. Try setting a bedtime that allows you to get the recommended 7-9 hours a night, and use a sleep tracker on your phone (like Sleep Cycle Alarm clock) to discourage you from using your phone once in bed.
- Better grades: Grades are important but nothing to obsess over. A reasonable resolution is to aim for a better grade in a particular class or two in the second semester. Focusing on improving your study skills in these classes will yield notable improvements in your grades.
6. Actually sticking to your resolutions this year: Don’t be too hard on yourself! It’s alright to slip up a few times. Give yourself a break once in a while and then get back on track to a better you. Happy 2015!