The Girl Who Needs A Strict Bedtime (Or a Candy Bar)
With winter rolling in and snow storms just around the corner, we have finally finished our first quarter of school! Congratulations to everyone who has made it this far without procrastinating on their schoolwork! As for the rest of us, well, congratulations anyways. School is hard.
As the weather gets colder, and we get deeper and deeper into the tunnel of the school year, it is pretty difficult for us to wake up in the morning and jump to our classes. Especially now with the time change, we are waking up in pitch black and shivering under our blankets. As I know from experience, next to nothing in the world can make me leave my warm bed for the negative degree chill in my car. But don’t worry you guys! All is not lost. I’ve got five tried and true methods for waking up on time in the morning and getting ready for that (endless) day at school.
- Go to sleep early! Okay, so this one is super self explanatory. I know I’m not alone when I tell myself to go to sleep at 11 and then somehow 2 a.m. is rolling around. The best thing to do to ensure that you go to sleep early is have a strict routine. Make sure that when you get home from school or sports or other activities that you get right to work with only a short break. If you work steadily with only a few small breaks, you will absolutely find the extra hours for snoozing. Before going to bed, you could read a chapter or two in a book, listen to a few songs on your iPod, or just sit and ponder life. Never, and I repeat, NEVER, go on your phone or computer when you are going to sleep. I know how hard it is to resist, but after a few weeks of training yourself, you will be better off.Those five minutes on your phone will quickly turn into five hours and you wont even notice it. Besides, the bright light tricks out your brain and confuses it. It is best to keep a routine without electronics if possible to ensure a complete and refreshing night’s sleep.
- Don’t procrastinate and definitely keep a steady work habit. This is another one that seems simple but is actually quite tough to apply. Often our teachers will give us homework assignments in advance. Some classes it is not possible to work ahead in, while in others it is easier. If you have an essay or project, don’t leave it until the last minute. Your work won’t be as good and the next morning you will be regretting it. I know that it is seriously no fun to finally finish the night’s homework only to start on future work, but you will be thanking yourself when you are able to go to sleep before three in the morning. Instead of bringing yourself instant gratification by going on your phone or computer to waste time, write a paragraph for your history essay. The next day it will seem much more manageable and you won’t feel as prone to a breakdown.
- Prepare for your day the night before. Especially in the winter when it is so cold outside your bed you might cry, it is very helpful to set out your clothes the night before. If you pack up your bag and get everything planned out, you might even be able to catch a few more minutes of sleep. When you wake up, it won’t be as hard to change out of your warm pajamas if you already have the sweater and pants set out, looking cozy. If your room is really cold, keep your coat upstairs and put it on right as soon as you put on the rest of your clothes. Your body heat will quickly make the fabric warmer and more comfortable. Don’t forget socks!
- Know yourself. I know that I am more likely to stay up a bit later and study than wake up earlier and try to squeeze in a couple hours of homework. Some people just can’t focus after a certain time and need to go to sleep and wake up early. Whatever works for you is the best thing to do. It is much better to never leave your homework to the morning before school, but things happen. Sometimes we need a backup plan to keep us from going crazy. Know your body and when your brain is most likely to work clearly.
- Finally, something that I basically do everyday, you can fall back on coffee or any other caffeinated product. Also, when waking up in the morning you have to have the right music. Trying to wake up to anything other than Beyonce can be a struggle.
And, when all else fails, you can always turn to chocolate.
Photo Source: Giphy