10 Creative Ways to Say “NO” To Joining a Club
By Izzy Catanzaro
Clubs fair took place last week and watching the fair was basically like watching those insane monkeys at the rainforest. It, as usual, was extremely entertaining to watch the bewildered freshman, the animated club presidents, and those awkward people who really don’t want to sign up for anything and just stalked around until they found a friend to be awkward with.
The most amusing part of the fair was watching people try to say no.
According to a statistic, the average human being says the word “no” 234 times a day! Just kidding–I completely made that statistic up…but you get the point. We say the word all the time and yet, when we have to say it to someone’s face and crush their spirits, it somehow becomes hard.
Because this is so hard, I thought I should find some creative ways to say no. In order to do this I made a list of ways to say no when someone asks you to join their club:
- “Life is too short to do things you don’t love.”
- “I would love to say yes to everything, but that would be stupid.”
- “It would cause the slow withering death of my soul. So, no.”
- “Look! Squirrel!”
- “Ask me again in a year.”
- “I’ll be out of town.”
- “I have commitment issues.”
- “I would prefer to spend a whole day with the Kardashian family, but that’s just me.
- “I’d rather remove my own gallbladder with an oyster fork.”
So when next year’s clubs fair comes around, make use of these phrases and you will be all set (and possibly lose a couple of friends, but that’s not the point…)!
Credits to: http://thehalfwaypoint.net/2010/02/fifty-ways-to-say-no/ & http://luzialight.wordpress.com/2014/01/04/55-creative-ways-to-say-no/ for some of the ideas.