Top 5 Reasons Why You Should Join Debate
By Gigi Protasiewicz
- You get to spend quality time in the Middle School building While you are at practice, which is in Mr. Habig’s room, you can reminisce about your middle school years (the times of braces, uniforms, and air conditioning) and see how the space has changed since you were there (it hasn’t).
- You become an expert on a few oddly specific topics. How many people do you know that can have a conversation about the Sahel, immigration reform, or undersea exploration? If you join debate, you can learn more than you ever wanted to know about topics like these.
- You get to travel throughout “scenic” Ohio By going to tournaments, you will get to see many different middle schools and high schools that you never even knew existed. In addition, on bus rides, you can look out the window and observe the beautiful scenery of Ohio in January, or better yet, snow-covered farmland and frozen cows.
- You get to meet new people. You’ll meet some new people from different schools and get to know new people from HB. Even if you don’t meet any nice people from other schools, you can always bond with your teammates about your dislike of other teams.
- It’s fun. Debate tournaments are actually pretty fun. You can get some pizza for lunch, and there’s a good amount of downtime so you can work on homework or just talk. Besides that, the debate part of debate is fun, too, and very interesting.
In conclusion, debate is a great extracurricular that helps improve your researching, writing, thinking, and speaking skills, and there are so many different events that, chances are, you’ll find one that you really like. It’s a very good experience, and so if you are even a little bit interested, you should try debate. Feel free to contact Mr. Habig at firstname.lastname@example.org to try your debating skills!