Decipher Your Dreams
By Madeleine Schroedel
A dream is a series of thoughts, visions, or feelings that occur during sleep.
Dreaming is something we do every night, whether we are aware of it or not. It is a time when the mind is opened up and emotions are exposed and expressed. No one, however, knows why people dream. I researched some common themes or ideas that appear in dreams and discovered their significance. I found that your dream almost always relates to something occurring in your life, or a past experience you often dwell on, so it is important to decode the clues that your mind is trying to send you; dream patterns are unique for each individual, so search the table below to find your message or go to the websites listed for further information!
Here are a few FUN FACTS about dreams:
- Dreams usually center around feelings as opposed to actual situations that have occurred in your life.
- You never see a face that you haven’t seen before, even if you think you don’t recognize the person.
- Almost everyone has had one dream in which they were flying.
- You have several 5-20 minute dreams each night.
- You will spend about six years of your life dreaming.
- Anxiety is the most common emotion in dreams.
- Babies dream, too.
- While dreaming, you are paralyzed.
- Only 80% of all dreams are in color.
- A recurring dream that women have often is one in which they are being chased.
- Lucid dreaming is dreaming with the awareness that you’re dreaming. (http://www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream)
You can have better more pleasant dreams by:
- Sleeping earlier
- Controlling what you eat (avoid eating late or having caffeine)
- Exercising regularly
- Keeping a low stress level
- Keeping roses in your room (the scent induces peaceful dreams)
MOST COMMON dreams include:
- Your teeth are falling out
- Being chased
- Being naked in public
- Taking a test
- Running, but not being able to move
|DREAM THEME(or thing that appeared/occurred in dream)||MEANING(what you’re feeling)|
|Teeth falling out, or a focus your mouth||Be careful what you say/have said. Feeling guilty about not telling the truth, or saying something hurtful?|
|Being chased||You’re avoiding some sort of confrontation or issue, or scared something from your past will come back|
|In school||You’re worried about deadlines or your position at school/work. You may also be feeling inadequate or unprepared.|
|Death||Symbolizes the end of something in your life.|
|Animals||Symbolizes instincts and desires in your life (birds specifically point to goals, balance, or happiness)|
|House||Represents the Self (attic = mind, basement = subconscious)|
|The color black||Mystery, unknown, death, or hate|
|The color red||Energy (or lack therein), passion, courage|
|Flying||Freedom and lightness, a good mood, on top of your work|
|Garden||Shows what you are doing with your abilities, possibilities, and opportunities|
|The color yellow||Lightness or hopefulness OR caution, cowardliness, or jealousy|
|Cars||Ambition and drive to succeed|
|Rain||Light rain = Emotions and release from feelings or thoughtsThunderstorm = drenched in feelings, difficulty in life|
|Sand||Represents time or something worn. Also can symbolize small irritations|
|Falling||You are feeling anxious and insecure, or feel you have failed|